Here is the agenda for the 10/21/19 (Monday) City Council Meeting.
The videos are now broadcast live at this URL so if you tune in at 8pm, you can watch the Council meeting live: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBBgBDh11jKNhKtA1NIOZZA
Be sure to SUBSCRIBE to the City of Bedford YouTube channel (big red subscribe button below the video). If you subscribe, you will get a notification when the live video starts as well as getting a link to watch it later.
In the Work Session, we will be discussing:
- It is BUDGET TIME! The next many meetings will start out with reviewing different parts of the budget. This meeting, we will be reviewing Economic Development, City Manager and Council budgets.
- Deciding if Council will provide sponsorships to the Hawthorne Valley Youth Council. This is a group that teaches young leaders about local government. In the past we have sponsored 4 students and I expect that to continue.
- Using HF Group Assurevault to digitize and store archival City documents. Under Sunshine Laws, the City is obligated to keep all records of their dealings. The sheer number of records eventually requires looking at new ways to comply with the law.
- Council will be looking at implementing new zoning in the Broadway corridor similar to what was implemented in Meadowbrook to encourage new business growth. We will also be considering an incentive package to investors who would like to buy and fix up buildings in the corridor.
In the Regular Session, we will be voting on:
- Beginning the energy improvements suggested by Gardiner using NOACCA grant funds.
- Annual sewer rate increase. Certain fees and costs increases are given to the City of Bedford and these costs then have to be incorporated into the sewer and water rate. There will be a 4% increase in the sewer rates and no increase in the water rate. There is typically a 3% increase to both.
- Amending “Rate Reduction for Senior Citizens and Permanently Disabled” to line up with the sewer rate change.
- Apply for the CDBG (grant) for televising the City’s sewer system to look for areas to repair.
- Apply for the CDSG (grant) to pay for phase 2 of the Sign Initiative.
- Issuing and selling bonds to cover the cost of the new pumper and ambulance trucks.
- Allowing for a minor increase in cost ($600) to the Guide Studio contract.
- Repealing the ordinance for “Coloring Rabbits & Baby Poultry”. As mentioned in the last meeting’s report, we have several laws on the books that are pointless and outdated. We will be endeavoring at each meeting to repeal one of these laws.
- Making additional appropriations. Basically approving the moving of funds around in the City budget to pay for things or to accept unexpected money, such as from grants
- Allowing for a Conservation Easement to West Creek Conservancy. This gives the West Creek Conservancy special rights to help protect West Creek.
- Finally! The long discussed changes to the “Signs” ordinances will be voted on. I know for a fact that this is going to 3 readings. Please feel free to bring commentary to your councilperson or to a council meeting.
- The Council will be voting on a resolution to censure Councilman Don Saunders (W6) for actions unbecoming a councilperson that negatively impacted himself, Council, the City and the Community.